Donation Wishlist and FAQ’s
Thank you for your interest in supporting foster kids and young moms. This page will be updated regularly, but we encourage you to call ahead to confirm as our needs change frequently according to our participants individual situations.
What do you accept?
All items must have all of their original pieces, be in working condition, clean and reusable.
Our most urgent needs at this time are:
We also accept:
- Small Appliances – through the year, we may need toasters, blenders, match set of dishes, cups, cutlery and other things that our program participants take with them when they move out to live independently. Please call or fill the form below to enquire.
- Clothing – men and women, gently used, in season. We are currently pausing clothing donations for the Summer and will re-open in September.
What items do you NOT accept?
- Bed frames
- Entertainment units
- Very large furniture pieces – sofas, desks, hutches, china cabinets, TV stands, large appliances (stove, dishwasher)
- Bedding – pillows, duvets
- Bathroom accessories – mats, towels, shower curtains
- Electronics – televisions, computers, fax machines, printers, etc.
- Kids clothing
Where do my donations go?
Aunt Leah’s Place helps to prevent children in foster care from becoming homeless and mothers in need from losing custody of their children. All donations are sorted and organized at our warehouse into appropriate categories:
- Aunt Leah’s Participant Needs – individual needs of foster kids and young moms that participate in our programs
- Aunt Leah’s Programming Needs – furniture and accessories for our 18 houses for program participants
- Aunt Leah’s Urban Thrift – one of Aunt Leah’s social enterprises to raise funds to support our programs
- Other Partnering Organizations – homeless shelters and other social enterprises
Any broken or unusable items, end up being recycled or dumped at a cost to the organization and affects the proceeds to the foster kids and young moms. Please donate accordingly.
Where & When Can I Drop Off My Donation?
We currently accept donations at Urban Thrift during store hours. We’re open 7 days a week from 11 AM to 6 PM.
Because of its location, we can only accept items that you can carry in yourself, as there is limited access and parking. Please call ahead if you have several bags/boxes to donate.
Do You Have a Pickup Service?
Yes, we have a very limited pick-up service. Please contact our staff regarding our donation pick-up schedule at 604-376-7238. All potential donations are vetted carefully beforehand. Please complete the donation form below and provide digital photos of the items you would like to have picked up. We request a $20 fee for pick-ups to help pay for truck rental and gas. Which cities do you pick up from? We can pick-up donations from Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Surrey and Richmond. If your city is not included, you are welcome to drop your donation off either at the store or at our warehouse. For warehouse drop-offs, please contact Cory Morrison at email@example.com or (604) 376-7238 to set-up an appointment.
How Else Can I Help?
- Volunteers are critical to the success of our programs and to the lives of the young people we help. There are many ways you can make a difference. If you are interested in volunteering with us, please contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 604-525-1204- ext. 252
- At a gathering, meeting, special event or workplace – ask your friends and colleagues to fill a bag or bring an outfit on a hanger.
What We Will Do: We will pick up all the bags and outfits at an agreed upon date and location and put them on display at Urban Thrift.
Together We Will: Create a stream of revenue that will be used to care for homeless moms and their babies into the future
Donation Form To get the conversation going, or if you have any questions, please fill out this form and our staff will be in touch within the next 48 hours.