Director of Housing & Education Programs
This leadership position is responsible for managing the day-to-day and strategic initiatives for Aunt Leah’s Housing Department and Education Department. Ensuring Aunt Leah’s Housing and Education departments are offering programs that are responsive and reflective of participants and their current needs. Ensuring that programming reflects Aunt Leah’s Family Model which attempts to replicate family privilege for youth aging out of care and mothers in need and mothers at risk of losing custody of their children to the child welfare system.
The unique programs within the Housing Department are
- Support Link
- Lale House & Supportive Suites
- Friendly Landlord Network
The unique programs within the Education Department are:
- Supporting Education for Foster Youth (SEFFY)
- High Needs Fund
Reports To: Executive Director
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience
- A degree or diploma in leadership/management or equivalent experience in the business or non-profit sectors.
- Previous experience in the Social Service field in supervision, operations and/or administration, or equivalent combination of education, demonstrated transferable leadership skills and experience.
- Positive communication, empathetic inquiry, and relationship-building skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills; efficient time and task management skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow for self and team.
- Ability to manage the mental and emotional demands of the work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Critical thinking skills
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- Competence in decision-making and problem-solving
- Ability to act, engage, and support youth through a trauma informed lens
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficiency with computer skills
- Report writing skills
- Ability to develop and oversee programming budget
- Empathy and compassion towards persons with multi barriers
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Functions: As a member of the organization’s management team, the position is accountable for:
- Participating in strategic planning and decision-making related to policy development, staffing and human resource management, and budget processes/issues;
- Managing and developing funding relationships/agreements with program funders, meeting/negotiating contract obligations
- Ensuring that budgets are set, met and reviewed regularly with the Executive Director
- Meeting regularly and collaborating with management colleagues to create solutions that advance the successful, efficient and effective delivery of programs;
- Managing issues that may have a broad implication such as critical incidents, community/stakeholder relations and operational issues;
- Providing recommendations and input regarding performance measurement and operational indicators, program changes, and other issues that advance the organization’s vision and goals;
- Working closely with the Human Resources team in the delivery of HR Management initiatives;
- Managing the successful implementation and on-going evaluation of the Housing and Education Departments
- Overseeing daily operations, planning, organizing, assigning and reviewing the work of Department Coordinators to ensure program performance standards and outcomes are met;
- Ensuring staff have up-to-date knowledge of pertinent policies, standards and procedures and adhere to same; taking immediate action to correct non-compliance, including safety protocols such as fire alarms and situations requiring emergency response; and completing and submitting appropriate reports;
- Overseeing department budgets, responsible for monitoring expenditures, performing variance analysis, and reporting to Executive Director;
- Responding to escalated participant concerns and complaints;
- Managing partnerships and community relations;
- Building relationships and networks both internally and externally for the Society with staff, social workers, stakeholders as well as in the larger community of non-profit societies;
- Other responsibilities include rotating on-call (weekend and overnights) duties with other Supervisors/Managers;
- Working with the members of the management team in compiling statistics and outcomes and reporting on program Key Performance Indicators;
- Other related duties that do not affect the nature of the job.
- Leading a dedicated team of Coordinators by providing clear and consistent direction and promoting the team’s success through orientation, mentoring and guidance, and performance management;
- Engaging and inspiring team members through positive leadership style and demonstrated behaviours to promote a culture of trust, collaboration and transparency;
- Coaching staff through collaboration with the organization’s Human Resources Director and/or HR Generalist, including staffing issues, recruitment, absenteeism, performance management, terminations, payroll, and adhering to related policies and procedures;
- Responding proactively to employee relations issues and seeking support from the Executive Director and the Human Resources Director as necessary to ensure positive outcomes;
- Implementing the organization’s performance management program to enhance retention and support succession planning;
- Reviewing and approving staff hours of work/overtime, expenses, time off requests, and monitoring time balances for Housing and Education Department staff;
- Coordinating student practicum placements, including liaising with colleges and universities, mentoring, evaluating, ensuring practicum placement is a fit for the organization;
- Working closely with the Finance & HR teams regarding payroll and benefit issues for staff;
- Reviewing and approving department-related invoices as needed; reviewing and approving expense reconciliation, Float Credit Cards, and mileage for staff.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- This is a full-time position working 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, however, the Director of Housing and Education is expected to work a flexible schedule based on business and operational needs, critical incidents, events, and functions.
- Works primarily at Aunt Leah’s 816-20th Street, New Westminster office, but will also regularly visit Aunt Leah’s Vancouver office and various other sites.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: As of January 4, 2022, Aunt Leah’s Place has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination policy. Aunt Leah’s Place strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated (2 doses) for COVID-19. Rather than a mandatory vaccine policy, we are implementing a voluntary disclosure of vaccination. Employees will fill out a “voluntary disclosure” form indicating their vaccination status. Employees that do not wish to voluntarily disclose their vaccination status will be considered unvaccinated for operational planning purposes. The voluntary disclosure form will be included in the hiring process.
Living Wage Employer: As a certified living wage employer, we are committed to compensating our employees a living wage that allows working families to support the healthy development of their children and participate in the social, civic and cultural lives of their communities. Embracing a living wage policy aligns with our Strategic Goals and provides our staff a great place to work!
We Offer: A comprehensive benefits package that includes: dental, extended health care including vision care and prescription, RRSP matching, generous vacation, and personal time package, and an employee discount at our Thrift Store.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter with salary expectations, quoting Director of Housing & Education Programs in the subject line, to [email protected] . Short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest in joining Aunt Leah’s Independent Life Skills Society!
We encourage qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities to apply if you are interested in supporting our mission and mandate and like what we have to offer.